Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Snake oil or miraculous tree?

This is a New Yorker article on reforestation efforts in the Sahel region. You can find an abstract on the New Yorker website, but the whole article is for paying customers only.

The author describes two different  approaches to contrast desertification, a technical solution involving a box that stores humidity (appropriately called Waterboxx) and the introduction of agroforestry in Niger. The article is written for the general public: it tells an interesting story but does not go in depth into the specifics of the two programs. The author describes Moringa trees (Moringa oleifera) as a miracle tree whose leaves and pods are super nutritious and can be used to cure a variety of medical conditions. I have heard the same claims while monitoring several projects in Africa but I could not find any scientific study that supports those assertions. The article does not provide any source either. I would appreciate inputs on Moringa's health and nutrition wonders.

1 comment:

  1. This is a good starting point:
    http://www.tfljournal.org/article.php/20051201124931586

    From what I gather, the nutritional value is proven, while the medicinal effectiveness still needs further studies. However, research of the antibiotic activity against Helicobacter pylori (one of the main causes of gastritis, gastric and duodenal ulcers) is promising.

    From my experience the tree grows tall in a matter of a few months even in arid conditions. However, I also observed some resistance in incorporating it in the diet. I tried it in several preparations: I liked it cooked like spinach, while the tea is too sweet for me.

    ReplyDelete